7.09.2007

Sabbatarianism

Now I would be the first to say, with Thomas Watson, that "If I am not mistaken, practical points are more needful in this age than controversial or polemical." That being said, being immersed as I have in the Puritans this summer, I have inevitably come to question the modern evangelical church's position on the Sabbath. Or "Lord's Day" as it is called to divorce it from the jurisdiction of the 4th commandment. Depending on your view of the scope of the Old Testament, you can either easily or not-so-easily dismiss the implications of this commandment for the 21st century Christian. How is it that we can say that 9 of the 10 commandments are still applicable to the modern believer, and neatly cut out one?

Now, I am not a Sabbatarian--yet. But I am starting to think about it. So far, I haven't seen a consistently scriptural defense of our modern "Lord's-Day-not-at-all-the-same-as-the-Sabbath" observance. Thanks, James for passing this link on Sabbatarianism to me. I was surprised to hear it echo my conclusions. Very stimulating.

1 comment:

James Kubecki said...

Speaking of Sabbatarianism, and the Lord's Day...

I'm listening to an episode of the Albert Mohler radio show from last week (Russell Moore guest hosting) titled "'Sunday Morning Coming Down': The Disappearance of the Lord's Day from American Evangelicalism." Nothing terribly earth-shattering thus far, but interesting nonetheless.

You can find the show here.